I was very disappointed to see Minella Trump get demoted from 1st to 2nd last Friday at Bangor. If I had trained the second horse, would I in a million years thought I would have got the race…no? Honestly, I was gobsmacked that we lost the race, Brian could have given him another smack or two after the last and he would have won a length and a half but he didn’t need to so he didn’t. You must remember at Bangor you are galloping into a 90-degree bend after the line so Brian is going to give him a chance to get around the bend and pull up.
We were a bit undecided about appealing but having thought about it again we will appeal the decision because as I said the decision is baffling to me given the distance he won by and the fact that he was being eased down.
Regarding Navajo Pass, I said I wasn’t going to run him this weekend and then I got a piece of work into him during the week and he went really well so I flirted with the idea but at the end of the day I’ve got to make sure I get him to Cheltenham. He was entered in at Bangor on Tuesday next week but that has been abandoned so I would imagine now we’ll end up going straight there now. Instead we’ll get a gallop in somewhere beforehand, I’m not quite sure where at the moment. I would, of course, like to have gotten another race into him but he doesn’t really need it and my other previous festival winners have run in January and gone straight to the festival.
I just have the one runner this weekend at Ascot and you can read my thoughts on his chance below:
I think he has to have a big chance with the drop in trip being no issue with the soft ground and stiff track. He’s in Carlisle on Monday and he could have gone there and won another race and be seven-pounds higher which would make it harder to win a nice pot like this so we said let’s take our chance now and he should go close.